LEVIATHAN DEFIES FLOATING ICE CAKES

Free Water Flows Between Anderson and Weeks Bridges--Cruise Marks Semi-Official Opening of Season

Lured by a blue stretch of open water in front of the Weld Boat Club between the Anderson and the Weeks Bridges yesterday afternoon, the Leviathan, the mightiest craft in the University flotilla, carried a crew of Freshman rowing aspirants onto the Charles.

The brief cruise marked the semi-official launching of the outdoor spring crew season, as it is expected that the weather and river conditions will permit outdoor workouts nearly every day from now on. On January 13 five shells ventured out on a quarter of a mile of open water in the earliest workout recorded. A day or two later the ice again blocked the water.

H. H. Haines, head coach of the Freshman crews, supervised the work of the 1931 oarsmen, together with F. R. Sullivan '27, former coxswain of the University crew. There was a stiff breeze, and an occasional cake of ice floated down upon the Leviathan, but the oarsmen encountered no major difficulties. The Freshmen have been working on the tank in Newell Boat House since February 6, when the call for candidates was sounded.