DEMOCRATIC CLUB TO FORMULATE POLICY

Four Committees Work on Foreign Division of Platform -- Huston Thompson Speaks Today

The platform of the Democratic Club is rapidly being put into the proper phraseology in preparation for the forth-coming mock convention to be held in May. The foreign policy division of the platform is already in the hands of four committees who will voice the sentiments of the club. A committee headed by Edward Dumbauld 2L is investigating the question of World peace with reference to the League of Nations. The European situation, Russia and Italy, is being considered by a committee in charge of C. J. White 3L. A. B. Hawes '28 will be in charge of the committee which will undertake to formulate a policy in the Pan-American tangle, with reference to the Monroe Doctrine. He will attempt to decide whether intervention without the consent of the other nations is advisable.

Frank Vanderlip Jr. '30 will head the committee for Pacific affairs. A group of Chinese, Phillipine, and Japanese students in the University are working with this committee to prepare a brief outlining the attitude of their respective nations.

No definite date has been set as yet for the mock convention which will take place some time during the third week in May according to A. M. Barnhart 1G.B. president of the club. Delegates representing the various states will be selected for the convention which will be held according to National Democratic rules in the New Lecture Hall. At a similar convention held four years ago delegates took part in the proceedings. Any interested member of the University may participate in the activity of the convention by notifying the officers of the Democratic Club of his intentions and the state which he wishes to represent.

In preparation for the debates on policy preceding the convention Huston Thompson, former secretary of the Federal Trade Commission will speak at the Union this afternoon at 4 o'clock. The meeting will be open to all members of the University Mr. Thompson will speak on "Monopoly and its Relations to the Present Campaign." The general title of the series of lectures and meetings of which this will be the sixth, is "What Should Progressives Advocate in the Coming Campaign."