HARVARD POLOISTS DEFEAT BLUE TRIO

New Haven Mallet-Men on Defensive Side During Entire Game--Clark and White Star for Harvard

Harvard went into the final round of the U. S. Indoor Polo Association Class B tournament when the Crimson horsemen defeated the Yale trio at the Squadron A Armory in Brooklyn Saturday night, 12 to 9.

The University team opened up in the first period with the same sort of polo that sent it down to New York the favorite for the college title, scoring three goals while the Elis had no opportunity to score. In the second chukker, the Blue team was again on the defensive most of the period, while Harvard scored twice more. The third period found the two teams nearly equal in attack with one goal apiece, but in the fourth the University riders took three more goals while Yale remained scoreless.

The fifth chukker found Yale on its feet with two scores but the hard riding of F. A. Clark '29 and Holden White '28 kept Harvard on the crest of the wave, with three additional tallies. In the final period Yale was preeminent with two goals to Harvard's one.

Mainly because of the big handicap that Clark carries, Harvard had to give three goals on handicap to the Elis. Since the meet is a handicap meet for teams rated at from nine to 12 goals, the large six goal rating of Clark looms up heavily on the score sheet. The entire Crimson trio was rated at 12 goals, while Yale, rated at eight, had to assume one goal in addition in order to qualify for the meet.

The lineup and summary follows:

Score--Harvard 12, Yale 9, Goals--Cotton 5, Clark 5, White 3, Phipps 4, Wallop 2, Baldwin. Fouls--White 2, Phipps 2. Referee--Major J. W. Rafferty. Time--Six 7 1-2 minute periods. Handicaps--Harvard 12, Yale 9 (one assumed).

HARVARD  YALECotton, No. 1  No. 1, WallopWhite, No. 2  No. 2, PhippsClark, Back  Back, Baldwi