THE FAT MAN OF EUROPE

That famous hero of poetry, Abdul, the Bul-bul Emir, would be ashamed of his countrymen if he could, know the present sad condition of Turkish manhood. When the movies were introduced into Turkey a comparatively short time ago the promoters of the new form of amusement copied the methods in use in America in their production, and evidently designed their theaters after American models. But they failed to consider the requirements of their public. When the tired business men of that city invaded the new sources of entertainment they found to their dismay that seats designed for athletic citizens of the United States were all too small for their more ponderous selves. In fact, so uncomfortable were they that an organization has been formed to work for the adoption of seats more suitable to Turkish proportions.

The world will learn of such a state of affairs with astonishment. The Terrible Turk always conjured up visions of a lean, ferocious individual thirsting for infidel blood and who would neither be tempted by the movies nor have any difficulties over the size of the seats if he did frequent them. But the recollection of another item of news from Turkey goes far to explain the enigma. No doubt it was the abolition of the harems some years ago that enabled the Turkish male to discard his savage mien and fighting figure. With but one wife to engage his attentions, he can afford to neglect his diet and yield to the less violent diversions of the cinema.