GOLF TEAM DEFEATS M.I.T. IN FIRST GAME OF SEASON

Five to One Score Is Final Count on the Woodland Links -- All Twosomes Taken by the University

In its opening match of its season yesterday afternoon on the Woodland links, the University golf team downed M. I. T. by a score of 5 to 1. The Engineers made their only tally when E.M. Yates and Charles Newhall defeated C.L. Stover '30 and O.L. Winston '29 one up in one of the two four-ball-best-ball matches played. All the twosomes were taken by the University.

The best card for the afternoon was turned in by J.W. Hutchinson '30, player-manager of the Crimson team, who made a 78 on the 72-par Woodland course.

The summary of yesterday's matches:

Two-somes: C.L. Stover '30 defeated Yates (M. I. T.), 2 and 1; O.L. Winston '29 defeated Newball (M.I.T.), 4 and 3; J.W. Hutchinson '30 defeated MacGillivray (M. I. T.), 5 and 4; J.W. Filoon '29 defeated Moore (M. I. T.), 1 up.

Four-somes: Yates and Newhall (M. I. T.) defeated C.L. Stover '30 and O.L. Winston '29, 1 up; J.W. Hutchinson '30 and J.W. Filoon '29 defeated MacGillivray and Moore (M. I. T.), 5 and 4.