SHIFTS IN CREW SEATING MADE BEFORE M.I.T. RACE

CRIMSON SHELLS, CRUISE TO BASIN FOR TIME TRIALS

Turning their prows upstream yesterday, the University crews found the straight stretches unusually calm and were able to spend a stiff practice session on racing starts and short competitive pulls in preparation for the M. I. T. races this Saturday.

The Junior University eight underwent a seating shift before the practice that may prove permanent owing to the removal of Allerton Cushman '29 from No. 3 position by probation.

C.McK. Norton '29 was switched by Coach E.J. Brown '96 from his regular bow oar to the No. 4 seat and Amyas Ames '28 was promoted to Norton's place from the Third crew. A.T. Gray '30 will move back from No. 4 to fill Cushman's position. Coach Brown stated that Norton would remain for certain in the No. 4 seat. The others are liable to change.

The 150-pound crew suffered one shift in the substitution at 3.3. Ganz '28 toe Maurice Hecksher '29 at the bow position. Coach C.S. Heard '25 made the replacement to lessen the poundage of the lightweight shell which had been, until yesterday, above the average allowed for 150 pound oarsmen.

A time trial on the Charles River Basin is scheduled today for all the University crews, with a race in view if the weather is favorable.