AMERICANS A-COURTING

When Patrick Henry with a magnificent gesture cried "Give me liberty, or give me death!", he never imagined that his descendants would fall so far from the heights of freedom as to discard their clothes of democracy for the court robe. By the hundred have the citizens of the land of the free bought audience with the successor of the tyrant of the colonies, plaguing high officials and besieging ambassadors to satisfy their vanity.

Certain newspapers, ever mindful of the glory of equality, have "viewed with alarm" the sums spent to obtain the precious audiences. Characteristically have they demanded what returns the Americans received beside the privilege of bowing in and backing out of the presence of Their Majesties a question that can only be answered by the debutante of a few years ago whom a beefeater found writing on the King's private notepaper at the King's private desk, letters which are now worth a small fortune.

Long live the King, and may his audiences be many. The aristocracy of America, whatever it may be, must be amused, and whether it acts in fancy dress theatricals at home and does not enjoy itself, or in England and does, makes no difference. When the favored few return to these United States, loudly will they boast of their glimpse of the King and secretly be thankful that they have a President whose limp hand they may shake.