UNIVERSITY CREW PULLS INTO VAN IN CLOSE RACE

Junior Eight Forces Heavy Crew to Its Best Efforts--Head Wind Makes Time-Trial Slow

A close time-trial race on the Charles River Basin featured yesterday's practice for the two University crews. Coach E. J. Brown '96 turned his oarsmen downstream early in the afternoon for a limbering up pull over the mile and three quarters course preliminary to the regatta with Cornell and Tech on Saturday, and found conditions favorable enough for a handicap test.

The Junior University crew, granted a two-length lead at the temporary bridge, started off at a fast clip that kept it in front of the first eight, stroked by Captain John Watts '28, for a half-mile. At the Harvard Bridge, one of the Junior oarsmen caught a crab and the boat paced by James Lawrence '29 dropped three quarters of a length.

Watts put up the beat at this point and his heavier crew began to forge ahead rapidly. They overhauled the Juniors at the Henley distance and finished the full race a length and a quarter in the van. The time was ten minutes and seven seconds for the winners and five seconds more for the Lawrence boat. A heavy head wind slowed up both crews.