CURRENT EVENTS WINNER PICKED

Reinhart and Donovan Take Second and Third Place--Three Prizes Total $250

Thomas Arnold McGovern '29, of Schnectady, New York, was awarded first place in the Harvard division of the New York Times current Events Contest, it was announced last night by E. C. Wynne '17, in charge of the Harvard examination which was given on April 20 McGovern will receive $150 and a New York Times medal as first prize. The second prize of $75 was awarded to Alfred Seymour Reinhart '28, of Dorchester, while Andrew Edmund Donovan '31, of Cambridge will receive $25 for placing third.

A total number of 33 students competed for the prizes this year, an increase of about 50 percent over the number which presented itself last year. The examination was given in two parts, the first of which required a knowledge of a variety of specific facts and the second ability to write an essay on some subject chosen from a wide field.

Examinations have been held in 19 other universities and institutions throughout the East, and some time with in a month the winners from each institution will compete for the national prize of $500 in cash.

In 1926 C. E. Wyzanski '27 captured both the Harvard and the National prizes. He repeated his Harvard victory last year but was barred from intercollegiate competition on account of his previous victory.