RALLY IN FOURTH INNING WINS FROM WILDCATS, 5 TO 1

Crimson Hurler Stars at Bat and on the Mound--Losers' Lone Tally Comes in Final Frame

A fourth inning rally which netted four runs proved to be the determining factor in Harvard's 5 to 1 win over the New Hampshire State baseball team yesterday afternoon.

The credit for the victory over the Wildcats must be given to the four hits collected in this one eventful fourth inning. Outside of this frame, the smart pitching, first of Slayton, and then of Evans, kept the University batters pretty well subdued. The total of the Crimson hits was six.

The Wildcats could do no better than that, however, against the tossing of F. B. Cutts '28, who turned in a very creditable performance on the mound. Cutts kept the Granite State hits well scattered and, but for several notable exceptions, kept the losers well in hand.

The game progressed rapidly up to the last half of the fourth when John Prior '29 came up and drew a walk. A. G. Whitney '29 grounded out to short, advancing Prior. W. B. Jones '28, the next man up, singled, and Prior came home scoring Harvard's first tally. F. E. Nugent '30, who was given a try in left field yesterday, followed with another hit, putting two men on base. Cutts followed with a smashing double which scored both Jones and Nugent Cutts himself came home a few minutes later to score the fourth run when J. P. Chase '28 singled.

After and uneventful fifth frame, Cutts batted in another run, after Jones had drawn a pass. This single brought Cutts tally of hits up to two, one third of his team's total for the afternoon.

Harvard's run-making was over, but the Wildcats' scoring was yet to come. In the eighth inning things began to happen which seemed to indicate that a New Hampshire score might be shortly expected. Lynch, lead-off man of the Granite State batting order, doubled, and MacFarland, a former Exeter player, advanced him to third with a pretty single. Cutts walked the next man on four straight balls, filling the bases, with no outs. Hoyt, however, field out to right field and Jones' throw-in picked a runner off second, making two out. Shea grounded out to the pitcher. The impending score finally came in the next inning when Hicks was walked, advanced on Dawson's single, and came home on Evans' sacrifice fly to right field.

The summary follows:

Two base hits--Donaghy, Cutts, Lynch. Stolen bases--Chase 2, Burns. Sacrifice hits--Nugent, Evans. Struck out--by Cutts 4, by Slayton 1, by Evans 3. Base on balls--off Cutts 5, off Slayton 3, off Evans 3. Hits--off Slayton, 6 in 5 2-3 innings; off Evans, none in 2 1-3 innings. Double play--Jones to Donaghy. Left on base--Harvard 10; New Hampshire 7. Umpires--McLaughlin and Stafford. Time--1.59.

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Burns, c.f.,  4  0  0  2  0  0Chase, 2b.,  5  0  1  5  3  0Donaghy, s.s.,  5  0  1  3  1  1Lord, c.,  3  0  0  5  1  0Prior, 1b.,  1  1  0  7  2  0Whitney, 3b.,  3  0  0  0  0  0Jones, r.f.,  3  2  1  3  1  0Nugent, l.f.,  3  1  1  0  0  0Cutts, p.,  4  1  2  2  6  0Totals,  42  5  6  27  14  1NEW HAMPSHIRE  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lynch, c.f.,  5  0  1  1  1  0MacFarland, l.f.,  3  0  1  3  0  1Gustafson, l.f.,  0  0  0  1  0  0Ramsey, s.s.,  2  0  0  2  1  0Hoyt, 3b.,  4  0  0  3  2  2Redden, r.f.,  3  0  1  0  0  1Hicks, c., r.f.,  3  1  0  2  1  0Shea, c.,  1  0  0  3  1  0Dawson, 1b.,  3  0  2  7  0  0Brown, 2b.,  3  0  1  2  3  1Slayton, p.,  2  0  0  0  4  0Evans, p.,  1  0  0  0  0  0Totals  30  1  6  24  13