Judges Give Verdict to Harvard in Scholastic Contest With Yale

Crimson Team Places Men in Two Top Positions--Students Represent 15 States

Harvard's scholarship team won a close victory over the best minds of Yale in the contest held on April 30, it was announced last night. The three judges who graded the examination papers of the competition, Professors C. G. Osgood, of Princeton, J. Q. Adams, of Cornell, and A. K. Potter, of Brown, arranged the names of the twenty Crimson and Blue contestants in order of the excellence of their papers, and the points were scored by adding the number of places on the list. As in the similar scoring of a cross country meet, the team with the lowest total wins.

Crimson Wins by 24 Points

Scoring on this basis, Harvard won 93 to 117. Both first and second places went to the University team, while Yale entries took third, fourth, and fifth places. The next seven places, with the exception of the ninth went to Harvard contestants.

Both D. H. Ballou, of Yale, and H. T. Dolan '28 of Harvard, who placed nineteenth and twentieth respectively, were handicapped by the fact that they took the examination in the hospital.

The scholastic contest, the first of its kind ever held in this country, was established this year through a fund given by Mrs. William Lowell Putnam. The income of this $125,000 endowment will be used, this year, to give books to the members of both teams, and the sum of $5,000 will be set aside for the purchase of books by Widener Library.

Two teams of ten men each, picked from those concentrating in English at Harvard and Yale, took the regular Harvard English divisional examination on April 30. The examination on questions of English literature lasted three hours.

Fifteen states of the Union were represented in the contest. New York and Connecticut led all other states in number of men on the two teams with three each.

The contestants, in the order in which they were listed by the judges follows: N. M. Pusey '28 (H) 1; J. L. McLane ocC (H) 2; G. T. Washington (Y) 3; S. F. Kennedy (Y) 4; J. S. Eells, Jr., (Y) 5; L. J. Rittenhand '28 (H) 6; J. D. Merriam '28 (H) 7; E. C. Wilkins '28 (H) 8; P. H. Gray Jr., (Y) 9; J. E. Barnett '28 (H) 10; R. T. Sharpe '28 (H) 11; Harold Strauss '28 (H) 12; J. K. Jessup (Y) 13; J. F. Rettger (Y) 14; J. M. Bernstein (Y) 15; R. T. Sherman '28 (H) 16; T. W. Copeland (Y) 17; R. W. Huntington, Jr., (Y) 18; D. H. Ballon (Y), 19; H. T. Dolan '28 (H) 20.