LIGHT PRACTICE STARTS WEEK AT RED TOP CAMP

FIRST CREW SELECTS NEW WATTS SHELL FOR YALE RACE

Red Top, Conn., June 11,--After the weekend spent cruising on J. P. Morgan's yacht the "Cosair", the Crimson oarsmen started out upon the final ten days of practice for the Yale races this morning with a two mile drill on the down-stream course. The Thames was moderately calm, ruffled on the return trip by a rising southwest wind.

Coach E. J. Brown confined his crews to a low stroke in the early workout, ordering that attention be paid to length of reach and timing of the catch. The University and the Jayvee boats took the jaunt side by side at a beat not exceeding 25 down or back.

On arriving at the boathouse, the first eight gave their decision on the boat to be used against Yale. They favored unanimously the red cedar shell presented to Harvard this year by Mr. Ridley Watts, fathers of Captain John Watts. This craft was constructed by George Pocock of Washington, the foremost racing shell designer in the country.

In the afternoon, the University crew paddled down to the three mile mark at a slow pace followed closely by Coach Brown in the "Black Pup" correcting the individual faults which were revealed in the four mile time trial last Saturday. On the return journey, Captain Watts did not lift the stroke above 26.

Among the visitors at the training camp today were Geoffrey Platt '27, captain of last season's winning crew, and F. R. Sullivan '27, former coxswain and present class crew coach.