WOLF! WOLF!

Somewhere in the makeup of the most efficient and energetic American is a weakness for parades and few obligations will keep him from stopping to watch one go by. Yet often processions that are arranged for his sole benefit meet with the most complete neglect, as witness the substantial deficit remaining to Mr. Pyle after the completion of his cross country "bunion derby". In Nebraska another attempted parade has just fallen through. This time it is the calvacade of indignant farmers in autos that was expected to descend upon Kansas City and impress upon the Republican Convention gathered there a sense of their wrongs. The leaders started gallantly out in every town to "raise the countryside" but the farmers were too busy planning so the organizers had to make their own way to the convention without an escort.

The Nebraska farmers this time come very near to typifying the attitude of the country as a whole towards the present political season. At Houston, where the Democrats convene soon after, interest reached apt a low pitch that Tex Rickard engaged "one-Eye' Connoly, champion gate-crasher in the world, to crash the gates at the convention and supply and element of competition that would otherwise be lacking. With the choice of each party fairly certain and there being an even stronger certainly that the one real issue, prohibition, will never find expression in the platforms, most of the nation can devote itself to the spring planting without any danger of missing much of importance.