REVIEWER OF ADVOCATE SAYS STANDARD UPHELD IN CURRENT JUNE ISSUE

"THE ETERNAL LOVERS" PEAISED AS AN UNUSUAL SONNET

The following review of he current Advocate was written for the Crimson by P. T. Haskell, Jr., '28, graduating business manager of the Advocate.

It is so seldom that a business editor of a publication is ever noticed by the temperamental members of the literary board, that an invitation to review the work of the latter cannot be passed by. It may be reasonable to assume that the business editor represents the point of view of the average undergraduate reader who peruses the magazine.

The current number of the Advocate measures up to the standard of the recent issues. There is the usual number of stories and articles, although a noticeable scarcity of verse. There are one or two high-lights that deserve particular mention.

Fiction of Number Praised

A short-story, "Children in Twilight," is excellent. The author, Otto E. Schoen-Rene, has produced a work of distinct literary merit, particularly his passages of pure description. It is a rare, thing to find "atmosphere" handled with so much skill that it does not appear to be obvious "literary effort." In addition to this story, is another very acceptable one by George C. Heck, Jr. One might wish that he had not ended it quite so abruptly, but it is, nevertheless, a very enjoyable tale. A delightful bit of nonsense, "The Ring and the Booklet" by Philip Nicholas, Jr., and the second instalment of the gruesome "Murder in 'B' Entry" complete the fiction of the number.

The article "Drifters" by Freeman Lewis must cause even the most casual reader to pause for a moment and think. Mr. Lewis has a very interesting idea, apparently instilled into him by his tutor, which he presents somewhat vaguely. But the article is more than worth the time consumed in reading it, if only to allow one to snort in disagreement and to turn on to something requiring less thought, which latter seems rapidly becoming a favorite with the majority of contemporary readers.

Robinson's Essay too Scholarly

There is one article in this issue that might well have been omitted, in the opinion of this reviewer. Mr. Robinson contributes an essay on Carl Sandburg which seems more in the nature of a bit of scholarly research than material for the Advocate. The article is beyond doubt well written, but it bears an atmosphere suspiciously reminiscent of reports and tutorial labors. The familiar essay seems more in keeping with the spirit of the Advocate than any scholarly treatise on the subject of one of our modern poets. But then, the editors are apparently seeking to publish a well balanced magazine, and your reviewer's protest against Mr. Robinson's essay may be in the nature of a confession of bourgeoise taste in reading matter. At all odds Mr. Lewis' article provides more enjoyable reading and possesses the added virtue of argumentative provocation.

One Poem Effective

Alone in its glory stands the one poem that the editors have seen fit to publish this month: "The Eternal Lovers" surely deserves the confidence placed in it by the editors. The treatment of the sonnet form is unusual and effective. The subject matter is conventional but not trite, and the poem possesses lines of splendid Imagery. It is a very competent bit of work.

The theatre notes and book reviews are handled in a pleasing and capable manner. The theatre notes deserve particular praise. Mr. Page is following in admirable style the high standards set by his predecessor in this department.

The June number of the Advocate, one may safely say is readable and entertaining even to people such as business editors who are presumed to have essentially prosaic minds. Greater praise than this would lay your reviewer open to the charge of extravagance; less would be a rank injustice to the editors.