BENEFITS OF UNION ARE OUTLINED BY STONE FOR PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS

BORAH, ROOSEVELT ARE INVITED TO BE SPEAKERS

The following article explaining the benefits and purposes of the Harvard Union was written especially for the Crimson by W. S. Stone '26, secretary to the Governing Board of the Union."

The heated political campaign between Smith and Hoover promises to make the Harvard Union program this fall the busiest in years. The Governing Board of the Union through its president, the Honorable Frederick P. Cabot, will invite several of the prominent political lights to the Union for dinner and luncheon engagements to be followed by addresses on the issues in the campaign. The Debating Union will hold at least two meetings before November 6. Hoover and Smith Clubs are being organized through out the University and the majority of their meetings will be held at the Union.

Election Evening Program Planned

The political campaigns at Harvard will culminate on election evening when the Debating Union will hold open house until late the following morning for Union members. A special wire from the Western Union will be run into the Living Room and the most complete election returns available anywhere throughout the country will be read from the Living Room platform. The announcements will be spiced by, Neal O'Hara if his presence can be secured. Two years ago at the Massachusetts gubernatorial election Neal O'Hara presided to the enjoyment of the members for nearly two hours.

Because of the fact that a long sitting for election returns proves a little weari-some, refreshments in the form of cider, doughnuts and cigarettes will be available. A large fire for the men to gather around at intervals will be burning in the rear of the Living Room. Returns will be tabulated on a large blackboard. Midnight editions of Boston newspapers will be distributed. All arrangements will be made to secure for Union members the most pleasant election evening to be had in Boston and vicinity.

Phases of Union Activity

Election evening will be the product of the efforts of several branches of Union activity. When the Union was first organized in 1902 in its present building, the CRIMSON, the Dramatic Club and several literary societies were all housed within its doors. Within the past few years, most of these organizations reached a stage of such size and financial stability that they were able to build their own structures for their various purposes. But many activities at the Union remain.

Foremost among these is the club activities of the Union itself Under the direction of the Governing Board the Union has pursued two general policies. The Union occupies a central place in University life. Moreover it attracts to its membership a large number of men who do not plan to use the Union regulariy as a place to eat. To satisfy this large group, nearly all University receptions are held in the Union; prominent speakers, political, religious., dramatic and literary, are our guests; many dances are given throughout the year.

In sharp contrast to the interests of this large group who use the Union only occasionally are the interests of that increasing number of men who use the Union's restaurant. These men, numbering over five hundred, seek a club life which the Governing Board attempts to satisfy. Toward this end a pool and billiard room is maintained which is equalled by none in the Square. Under the direction of a professional billiardist excellent instruction free of charge is given. The charge for playing is lower than elsewhere in the Square.

In the west wing of the main floor a reading room containing magazines and newspapers from the major cities of the United States may be had. Upstairs "the finest gentleman's library in Cambridge" will be found. The hours are from 10 in the morning until 11 in the evening. Smoking is permitted. The library contains the literary masterpieces of the English language and most of the fine works of the French. New books are purchased out of a large special fund, and for the benefit of members, suggestions as to what books shall be purchased are welcomed and, wherever possible, followed. Following the spirit of the library, the Union each year in the past, has run an essay contest in January with a $35 first prize.

A well-equipped barber shop, log fires throughout the winter and pleasant surroundings, in the rooms go far toward making the Union useful as a club. But most outstanding is the Union Dining Hall.

Through the efforts of the University Comptroller and the Union superintendent, the food at the Union has been improved until it is probably the finest consistent diet to be had among University dining halls. Many criticisms have been directed at the price of food in the past, but when one considers that by taking food regularly at the Union, the weekly price is a little over $10.00 a week and that second helpings may be had without charge on the main course of the meal, the Union's charges can not be called high.

Don Marquls Invited

Among the many men whom the Union plans to invite to speak this year is Don Marquis of New York. Last fall Christopher Morley delivered a very amusing address to a full house and he suggested Mr. Marquis for this fall. A. A. Milne may come to this country sometime during the winter. Actors, playwrights and dramatic critics have spoken at luncheons heretofore although last year none appeared on the Union rostrum. This year St. John Ervine, the distinguished English critic who is gracing the pages of the New York World for a few months, may be present. An invitation will be extended to Alexander Wolcott.

Politicians Placed on Schedule

Of interest to the politically minded will be invitations to Senator Borah of Idaho, "Jimmy" Walker, Ambassador Myron T. Herrick, Charles Evans Hughes, and Franklin D. Roosevelt. For those seeking entertainment, the most definite offering that the Union management can now make is the Jake Schaefer billiard exhibition in January. Last season Mr. Schaefer and Welker Cochran played to a full house. Several travel talks will be given,--the management hopes to secure some authority on the comparatively newly discovered city of