1928 BOK AWARD CONTEST ATTRACTS RECORD ENTRIES

Competition to be Judged at End of the Month--Awards Divided Into Three Classifications

Over 10,000 advertisements have been submitted for the fifth annual Harvard Advertising Awards Contest, it was announced yesterday by D. W. Malott, Assistant Dean of the Business School. The material, which came from over twice as many firms as entered the competition last year, is now on exhibition in the Baker Library of the Business School.

The advertising awards, which amount to approximately $14,000 every year, have been offered since 1923 by Edward Bok, journalist and philanthropist, for the best advertisements in various classes submitted by any individual or organization. They are given with the conviction that advertising is an effective art, calling for the highest standards of illustrations, text, and typography.

The awards are divided into three classifications. The first is a gold medal given for distinguished services to advertising. The second group is for distinguished individual advertisements, four prizes of $1000 each being presented for the advertisements most effective in the use of text, of pictorial illustration, of display line, and of photography. The third class is for advertising campaigns. There are four prizes of $2000 each given for a national campaign for a specific product, a local campaign for a specific product, for a general or institutional campaign, and for a campaign of industrial products.

Jury Meets in Cambridge

The jury will meet in Cambridge on January 31 to judge the material and choose the winners of the awards. The winners will be announced at a dinner in their honor to be held around the first of March at the Harvard Business School.

The jury, which was appointed by W. B. Donham, Dean of the Harvard Business School, consists of the following men:

Elmer Alder, in charge of the Pynson Printers, New York; Lewis C. Gandy, typographic director, New York Monotype Composition Company, New York; Nelson S. Greensfelder, advertising manager, Hercules Powder Company, Wilmington, Delaware; Joseph B. Mills, publicity director, J. L. Hudson Company, department store, Detroit; William F. Rogers, advertising manager, Boston Evening Transcript, Boston; Thomas L. Ryan, Pedlar and Ryan, Incorporated, advertising agency, New York; Guy Smith, manager of advertising and research, Libby, McNeil and Libby, Chicago; P. L. Thomson '02, publicity manager, Western Electric Company, New York; Richard J. Walsh '07, president. The John Day Co., printers, New York; R. R. Wasson, treasurer and general manager, Clark Lighter Company, Inc., New York, formerly of Proctor and Collier, advertising agency of Cincinnati; Dr. Melvin T. Copeland, professor of Marketing, Harvard Business School; Neil H. Borden, associate professor of Advertising, Harvard Business School.