TWO HARRIER TEAMS FACE PURPLE THIS AFTERNOON

BOTH HOLY CROSS TEAMS SWAMPED IN LAST COLUMBUS DAY MEET

The Harvard University cross country team opens its season today at 3 o'clock against the Holy Cross Harriers. Handicapped by the loss of the Intercollegiate Cross Country Champion, J. L. Reid '29, and two of his class-mates, J. O. Wildes '29 and Leslie Flaksman '29, Coach Jaako Mikkola has been working hard with a squad captained by R. C. Aldrich '31, and composed almost entirely of Juniors and Sophomores. In the starting lineup are listed the names of five of the class of 1932, headed by N. P. Hallowell '32, who earned his University "H" by placing second in the half-mile in the Harvard-Yale Oxford-Cambridge track meet last July. In addition, he was captain of the undefeated 1932 cross country team, which made a perfect score against Yale 1932 last autumn.

Captain Aldrich Has Day Off

Aldrich was the leading harrier in his Freshman year, and a star on last season's team. He is not running in today's meet with Holy Cross.

The University team will start as follows: N. P. Hallowell '32; J. W. Fobes '32; R. G. Hodges '31; T. A. Dodge '32; G. N. Barrie '32; C. B. Davis '31; Sturtevant Burr '31; F. B. Thurber '30; E. T. Flothe '32; J. M. Fox '31. Alternates: F. B. Hyde '30; R. C. Aldrich '31.

The Freshmen, with one of the smallest squads in years, open their season against the Purple first-year men this afternoon over the shorter course at Soldiers Field. There were only 26 Freshmen out for cross country at the beginning of the year, as compared with 50 last autumn and there can be no definite estimate of their quality until after today's meet.

The Freshman team will start as follows: Murphy, Foote, Dodge, Wesley, Clark, Ellsbree, Steele, Hughes, Edmunds, Cobb. Alternates: Mellens, Hatch.