CAXTON PAGE OF CANTERBURY TALES SHOWN IN WIDENER

Single Leaf from English Printer Worth $300

This week there is on exhibition in the Widener Room of the Memorial Library a collection of some of the earliest English printings. Perhaps the most interesting piece on exhibit is one leaf from "The Canterbury Tales", published in 1488 by William Caxton, the first English printer. This single page is probably worth $300 as it stands, while a complete volume of this book would easily bring $10,000.

The second English printer, several of whose editions are being shown, was Wynkyn de Worde, about 1510. He inherited his types from Caxton, and a noteworthy fact is that he adopted his predecessor's complete heading, and added to it special designs both above and below.

Perhaps the most beautiful of the volumes being shown is the "Story of King Arthur and the Round Table", printed by William Copland in 1557. There is only one other complete copy of this book in existence; and that rests now in the British Museum. Printed first in ordinary black and white, the front page of each copy of the work was then illuminated in brilliant colors by hand.