TIME TRIALS OPEN HARRIERS' SEASON

First Year Squad is Only About Half as Large as Last Year's--Freshmen Undefeated for Five Years

The Harvard cross country squad under the captainship of R. C. Aldrich '31 opens the fall season with time trials to be held at 3.30 o'clock this afternoon, Coach Mikkola announced yesterday. It is noteworthy that, with the exception of the Intercollegiates which will be run at Van Cortland Park, New York City, all races will be run at Harvard. In addition to its regular program, the cross country squad will take part in an open intercollegiate meet for second team men on November first. The regular schedule for cross country meets as announced yesterday will be as follows: October 11  Holy Cross October 18  University of New Hampshire October 25  Dartmouth November 8  Yale

The Freshman team, undefeated for five years, begins a possible sixth year of triumph with the smallest number of candidates in many years, its total being 26 as against the total 50 last season.

Practice Held Daily

In the other branches of track activity, practice is held daily on the Freshman track. All those who intend to report at all are expected now, especially Freshmen for whom a series of informal meets are scheduled in which they will have the opportunity to compete with men of their own ability. Later in the season, interdormitory contests will also provide opportunity for further competition. In addition to these events for Freshmen, the usual Fall Handicap meet for University men will be held in the last of October, in which both graduates and undergraduates will be allowed to compete.

Practice Held Daily