ONE MINUTE TO PLAY

The last quarter of a football game invariably seems to drag on forever. Time outs are frequent, and strained nerves magnify the precious seconds as they slip by. During the final dozen plays or so, every one of the thousands of spectators who pack the giant stadia of the country every autumn Saturday is thinking almost constantly of the amount of time left before the last whistle. And it seems reasonable to suppose that every one of them is entitled to know kow many minutes there are remaining.

Strangely enough the score board in the Stadium is equipped with no device which can give out this information. There is a small space in the lower right hand corner of the board which is apparently reserved for time, but it is just as apparently never used. Even in the press box, special messages from the side lines are necessary to keep the scribes in touch with the progress of the periods.

The remedy for the situation seems to be fairly obvious. A dummy clock such as is used at hockey games could be easily and inexpensively installed at the top of the main score board over the steel stands. The signaller on the field could relay the official time at regular intervals, and it could then be registered for the enlightenment of some 60,000 anxious onlookers.