EXEMPTION FROM ENGLISH A-1 TOTALS 170 FIRST-YEAR MEN

Coolidge, Benedict, Richards, Green, Caldwell Added to Staff

From a total of 843 new Freshmen admitted to Harvard College this fall, 170 are exempt from the requirements of English A-1 by virtue of having received a grade of 75 per cent or better in the English College Board entrance examination, or by gaining special permission from the department to take a more advanced course of instruction.

The staff of assistants in the course has been changed this year, five new men taking up the reins of instructors A. C. Coolidge '27, G. G. Benedict '27, I. T. Richards, C. C. Green, and J. R. Caldwell are the newcomers in charge of some of the 25 sections of the course.

The only revision in the course this year is the addition of a small amount of instruction in essentials of public speaking. This is being given under the direction of F. C. Packard '20, assistant professor of Public Speaking and Celian Ufford '19, assistant in the English Department. As in past years the second half of the course will be devoted to a change in curriculum.