COLLECTIONS -and- CRITIQUES

Museum of Comparative Zoology Gets Work of J. C. Phillips '99

The largest collection of horns and antlers in this country, has recently been installed in the Museum of Comparative Zoology, at Harvard. This exhibition, which is of the highest interest to sportsmen and naturalists, in almost entirely from the collection of John Charles Phillips '99. There is only one other collection in America which compares with this group for range of variation in horn and antler among the species of hoofed animals, and that is at the New York Zoological Park.

The Only-Ones in Existence

There are two specimens of the rare Schomburgk's deer, one a world record. The home of this deer is still a mystery. It is supposed to be North Siam, but no white man has seen it alive. The Eid's deer from Burma are also unusual. There are two sets of antlers of Pere David's deer with the remarkable long black tines; these deer are long since extinct in a wild state and only a few exist, in one English park.

The Phillips Collection was assembled between 1900 and 1925 from various sources. Chief among them was a very large collection of mammals, mostly horned ruminants, purchased in England; all of the finest and largest horns and antlers in that collection were retained and duplicates were distributed to the Museum of Comparative Zoology and to the Collection of Heads and Horns in the New York Zoological Park.