OXFORD CHAIR GOES TO PROFESSOR LOWES

Post Was Established by George Eastman Last Year-Professor Lowes Has Big Reputation

Swarthmore, Pa., Oct. 30-John Livingston Lowes Ph.D. '05 professor of English at Harvard will be the first George Eastman Visiting Professor to the University of Oxford, it was announced here today by Frank Aydelotte, president of Swarthmore College and American secretary to the Rhodes trustees. Professor Lowes will lecture at Oxford during the academic year 1930-31. His appointment was officially announced in the Oxford Gazette today.

The George Eastman Visiting Professorship at the University of Oxford was established last year by Mr. George Eastman, of Rochester, New York, by a gift of $200,000, to the American Trust Fund for Oxford University maintained by the Association of American Rhodes Scholars. The regulations of the professorship provide that the holder shall be an American eminent in any branch of research or university study. Elections to the professorship are made by a Board of representatives of the University of Oxford and the Association of American Rhodes Scholars. The term of appointment may be from one to five years, with the possibility of re-election. The professorship is attached to Balliol College.

Professor John Livingston Lowes, who has been chosen to inaugurate the professorship, has been professor of English at Harvard since 1918, and was dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences during 1924-25. He is the author of many notable contributions to English scholarship and criticism, among them being "Convention and Revolt in Poetry" 1919, and "The Road to Zandau", 1927. He will lecture at Oxford in the Honour School of English Language and Literature.