FROM FAR AFIELD

The mailed fist of the law is beginning to cast an ominous shadow over the parking spaces around Harvard Square. If the threatening pronunciamento which was uttered by the blue-coated majesty is to be taken at its face value, there will be many sons of Harvard hailing from distant climes who would be glad of the opportunity of claim the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as their native heath.

For driving a car under a license of a "foreign" state, grave penalties are to be meted out to a penitent company. The phrase, "one hundred dollar fine" drops lightly form the lips of officers, and falls like a death-knell upon the ears of those unfortunates who now loudly boast their independence of Massachusetts and things Bostonian.

The situation really assumes a distinctly calamitous aspect when one takes a brief glimpse at the perennial bills which now decorate Harvard desks throughout the college. What with the unfortunate outcome of the Michigan game and the past unpleasantness in Wall Street, the financial atmosphere of Cambridge has become distinctly heavy. A term bill is bad enough, the anticipated outlay for the Yale week-end will be worse, and for those who sport license plates of dashing colors the thought of registration and insurance is the last straw. That such an accumulation of gargantuan expenses should be presented at one fell swoop is inexcusable. Does it mean that Harvard undergraduates will have to follow those of Princeton and give up their automobiles entirely, or will University Hall or Brattle Square devise some even more devilish solution?