Police Department Shows Sudden Activity in Tagging Erring Drivers--Out-of-State Licenses Frowned Upon in Campaign

During the last two weeks, an organized campaign has been carried on by the traffic division of the Cambridge Police Department to secure the numbers of all drivers who have been using automobiles registered in foreign States. According to Sergeant J. R. King, the drive has already resulted in the registration of over 50 machines illegally within the State after the 30 days allowed to out-of-State cars. This total includes students from Harvard, Radcliffe, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Cambridge officers have been contented with warning offenders up to the present time, but Sergeant King declares that prosecutions will follow within a week, unless action is taken in the matter. Drivers are liable to a fine of $100 if their cars are not registered; and if they are not insured, as required in Massachusetts, any amount of damages can be collected in case of accident.

It is believed that many students have not registered their cars because they think it costs $60 or $70 for the remainder of the year. This is not so. For the few weeks left in 1929, the total cost of insurance would be approximately $10, while the price of license plates alone does not exceed $2.

Three years ago there was a similar situation, arising mostly among students at Technology. Several convictions were made, and fines levied. If owners of out-of-State cars register now, probably no action will be taken, but later a penalty may be inflicted.

There seem to be three principal causes for failure to register. The first is just forgetfulness; the second is lack of knowledge of the rule; and the third is the desire of students to avoid paying what they think to be an exorbitant cost.