FORTY-SEVEN PRESENT AT FIRST HOCKEY MEETING

SIX OF LAST YEAR'S LETTERMEN WILL BE BACK FOR TEAM

The 1929-30 hockey team starts practice informally today, when 47 ice prospects report to Manager L. L. Wadsworth Jr., '30 for the touch football workout which is scheduled as part of the daily program for the next fortnight. Another score of men are expected by Tuesday, when intensive practice starts for all but football men.

Three Days a Week

The meeting yesterday which officially launched the winter campaign was opened by the newly elected captain, E. T. Putnam '30, who suggested that all candidates who had not engaged in fall sports play touch football to get in shape. Coach Joseph Stubbs '20 stressed in his talk that there will be three full afternoons each week for practice, beginning next week. As the University team never used its full time, this year there will be for the first time an adequate opportunity for second team practice under supervision, whereas before, the Freshmen have used all the available spare time. This year, efforts are being made to provide a regular schedule for the second team.

This afternoon at 1.30 o'clock there will be a meeting at the H. A. A. for all Sophomore candidates for the position of second assistant hockey manager. Manager Wadsworth and E. K. Straus '31, assistant manager, will address the candidates. The winner of the competition, which lasts eight weeks, will be manager of hockey in his Senior year, while the runner-up will be associate manager his Senior year. This runner-up will manage the second team his Junior year and will be awarded a minor "H". Experience for the competition is unnecessary, as many winners of former Sophomore competitions have not even entered their Freshman trials.

There will be six of last year's lettermen back for practice this season, including John Cross '30, C. B. Lakin '30, J. B. Garrison '31, G. C. Holbrook, Jr. '30, as forwards, and E. T. Putnam '30, and S. L. Batchelder '31, on the defense, W. T. Wetmore '30, who played in his Sophomore year, but was ineligible last winter, will also be on hand to augment the wings.

There are several promising Sophomore candidates from the team which last year won all but one of its games. W. B. Wood, Jr. '32, football star, C. D. Draper '32, goaltender, and W. H. Crosby '32, former Exeter captain, are expected to furnish some of the regulars strong fights for their berths on the team.Joseph Stubbs '20 (above) starting his third year as hockey coach. G. C. Holbrook '30 (left) and C. B. Lakin '30 (right) are strong contenders this year.