HARVARD HORSEMEN WIN INITIAL GAME OF SEASON

University Polo Team Rides to 10 1-2 to 6 Victory Over Brigadiers--Luton is Star for Crimson

Galloping through the 51st Brigade, the Harvard indoor polo team rode to a 10 1-2 to 6 victory in the opening game of the season at the Common-wealth Armory on Saturday night.

Because of the freshness of the season, a slight dearth of material, and the absence of Captain E. T. Gerry '31, Coach Sharp picked W. F. Luton '32 to play No. 1, N. W. Kimball '32 at No. 2, and H. I. Nicholas Jr. '31 as back, although the game was scheduled for the Harvard seconds.

The Crimson held a lead of 1 1-2 to 1 at the beginning of the fourth chukker, when the 51st Brigade started a scoring spurt and counted five times to Harvard's twice before the whistle blew, thus bringing the score up to 6 1-2 to 6. In the remaining chukkers, however, the clever play of the Crimson reserves asserted itself, and the game was stored away in the fifth period.

Luton showed himself to be the star of Saturday night's outfit; by clever riding and accurate shooting, he piled up seven tallies for the Crimson, five more than any other individual player. One of his counters was a beautiful full forward from mid-field, which placed the hall for an easy counting follow up.

Although facing a foe which outweighed them, the Harvard players were effective more than once in riding-off at critical moments. Considering that these men had not played together much, the team showed up well.

The summary: HARVARD  51st BRIGADE Luton, No. 1  No. 1, Storer Kimball, No. 2  No. 2, Eckfeldt Nicholas, back  back, Moore

Score--Harvard 10 1-2, 51st Brigade 6. Goals--Luton 7, Kimball 2, Nicholas 2. Fouls--Kimball. Time--Six five-minute chukkers. Referee--Captain Ryder, U. S. A.