THE CITY OF MYSTERY

Those who have attempted to follow Boston censorship through the intricate maze of reasoning which decides the fate of cultural efforts in the City across the Charles find it a difficult task to justify the logic of its latest pronunclamentos. The injustice of the "Strange Interlude" debacle and the growing list of banned books, as burlesque shows and arty magazines proceed unmolested, is almost as inexplicable as the astounding quiescence which greets the presence of Bertrand Russell in Boston.

Occupying a prominent position on the "Index" is the British philosopher's. "What I Believe." That the appearance of Mr. Russell at Symphony Hall yesterday occasioned no great turmoil among the officially righteous brings the unpredictable actions of the censors into sharper relief. The probable contents of a lecture on the faith of an unbeliever should be sufficiently apparent. But no action was taken to restrain the famous philosopher from corrupting Boston's intelligentsia.

The announcement that Governor Ritchie will speak in Boston during the week has evidently relegated Orthodoxy to a minor position in favor of the more pertinent question of Prohibition. For the good of the people, perhaps, the pernicious influence of the English scholar has been allowed to seep in to keep their attention occupied while the Law and Order brigade amuses itself by presenting a cold shoulder to the Maryland Wet.