HILL, LANE, AND TUCKER SENT TO POLAND SPRINGS

SARGENT, SIMMONS, WELLESLEY ARE REPRESENTED

R. H. Hill 1T.S., J. H. Lane '28, graduate secretary of the Phillips Brooks House, and D. P. Tucker ocC leave today at 1 o'clock for Poland Springs, Maine where they will participate in the Fifth Annual Poland Springs Congress sponsored by the Y. M. C. A. and the Y. W. C. A. for the colleges of eastern New England. Dr. Charles W. Gilkey, dean of the chapel at the University of Chicago, will be leader of the conference which will discuss the general theme: "The distinction, real or supposed, between religion, ethics, and social solidarity."

An informal program will be followed. This evening will be given over to discussion groups. Two of these, those dealing with "Social Service and the Social System" and with "The Problem of Racial Minorities," will be led by J. H. Lane '28, graduate secretary of Phillips Brooks House, and R. H. Hill 1T.S. respectively. On Saturday morning a speech by Dr. Gilkey will be followed by various forums. Saturday afternoon will be devoted to winter sports; and in the evening Dr. Gilkey will speak again. Morning watch service and an afternoon Communion service will conclude the scheduled events.

The general topic of the conference will be treated from various angles, such as "The Dynamics of Christian Motivation: Is it Necessary? Wherein Unique? How Experience?" Further discussion will be on the subject: "Is a dynamic force from without necessary as a motivation for the work done by Christian associations? If so, what is its source? Is a sense of social solidarity sufficient? What is the relationship between a sense of social solidarity and the Christian religion? If they could feel the drawing force would they not be better able to carry on their work buoyed up by the feeling of being part of a greater whole, and sustained by this knowledge, avoid the periods of depression?"

The arrangements for the conference have been made by a committee consisting of delegates from Wellesley, Wheaton, Radcliffe, M. I. T., Boston University, and Harvard.

The following colleges are sending delegates to the conference: Bates, Boston University, Bowdoin, Brown, Colby, Harvard, University of Maine, M. I. T., University of New Hampshire. Northeastern, Sargent, Simmons. Wellesley, and Wheaton. An attendance of 200 is expected.