C. McK. NORTON STROKES 1931 CREW TO VICTORY

ROUGH WATER PREVENTS ROWING OVER REGULAR COURSE

Overcoming a one length lead which a Sophomore eight stroked by James Lawrence, Jr. '29 had gained in the early minutes of a mile and a half race, another 1931 crew with C. McK. Norton '29 in the stroke seat won out over five class crews in the Charles River Basin yesterday afternoon. The winning crew with the exception of the stroke was the same that was piloted to victory by R. I. McKesson '31 on Tuesday afternoon. The race was rowed from above the Cottage Farm Bridge to a point about a quarter of a mile beyond the Harvard Bridge.

The day was not propitious for the Junior and Senior eights since both trailed the combination crew as well as the 1931 oarsmen. The 1930 eight stroked by McKesson rowed at a lower beat than its four rivals and although it came up fast at the finish the prow of the shell did not get beyond the waist of the combination crew boat. The latter with H. W. Sturges '30 in the stroke position was materially aided by a one length handicap.

The Senior eight piloted by S. W. Swaim '31 fell a full length behind its nearest rival by the time the race had progressed as far as the Harvard Bridge and, under instructions from Coach E. J. Brown '96, did not finish out the last quarter mile. The crew was somewhat handicapped by the presence of several substitutes who had not yet accustomed themselves to the boat.

Rough water near the Cambridge shore prevented a trial over the measured course and the race was rowed close to the Boston wall. these informal races will be continued until the weather conditions are ripe for sending the crews over the mile and three quarter course on the lower Charles River.

The two winning crews are as follows:

Sophomore B

Stroke, C. McK. Norton '29: 7, M. M. Johnson '31: 6, A. B. Rood '31: 5, E. L. Millard '31: 4. J. G. Lewis '31: 3, J. W. Hallowell '31: 2, Armor Hollingsworth '31: bow, R. R. Stebbins '31: cox, L. L. Wadsworth '30.

Sophomore A

Stroke, James Lawrence, Jr. '29: 7, A. N. Webster '31: 6, N. E. Parkinson '31: 5, Lawrence Grinnell '31: 4. E. E. Whitman '31: 3. R. A. Page '30: 2. R. H. Johnson '31: bow, R. L. Vaughn '31: cox. Richard Kimball '31