KENT DENOUNCES BOK PRIZE AWARD

Calls Advertising Awards in Class With Cattle Show--Business School Explains Stand

Ausable Forks, New York, March 20--Charging that the Harvard School of Business Administration's award of the Bok Advertising Prizes was "clearly and frankly in the class with dog and cattle shows," Rockwell Kent, famous author, artist, and adventurer, today stated that his only purpose in demanding the entire $1000 voted by the Bok-Harvard Prize Jury to Marcus and Co., Jewelers, for an advertisement featuring his work, was to erect a Sacco-Vanzetti Memorial "as near as possible to Mr. Baker's Harvard Business School."

Second Round Reached

This constitutes the second round in the controversy, the first having featured Mr. Kent's return to Marcus and co. of a check for $500 of the prize money on the grounds that the terms of the awards clearly signified Mr. Bok's intention of honoring the author or designer of the advertisements rather than the firm using them.

To a representative of the CRIMSON, Mr. Kent in his studio high in the Adirondacks announced that he had instructed his New York lawyers formally to demand of the Harvard School of Business Administration the entire sum of the prize rather than allow Marcus and Co. to forward it to him. His contract, he further stated, with this concern for the designing of advertisements expired recently.

Sketch Entirely by Kent

"It looks tome, said Mr. Kent 'like a misunderstanding by Colonel William Marcus of the exact provisions for the awarding of these prizes. Separate prizes were awarded for typography, display-line writing etc. This prize was awarded for 'pictorial illustration as the chief means of conveying its message. I am ready to offer the original sketch for the advertisement in question to show that no changes were made by any of Marcus's advertising men. The conception and the execution of this picture were entirely my own. Did Mr. Bok give the awards for business houses or for individual artists and advertising men? If I obtain the entire award, which I belive is just. I should like to contribute it toward the erection of a Sacco-Vanzetti Memorial as near as possible to Mr. Baker's Business School at Cambridge."

Mr. Kent also released a letter addressed to D. W. Malott, assistant dean of the Business School. Excerpts from it follow:

"You state that the award was given for an advertisement distinguished for its effective use of illustra-