UNIVERSITY FENCERS TO COMPETE IN N. Y. TODAY

COPLAND, SMITH, MODELL ENGAGE IN INDIVIDUAL BOUTS

This afternoon in the Hotel Commodore at New York, the finals of the Intercollegiate Fencing Championships will take place.

As a result of the qualifying contest, held on March 16, in the New England division of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association, Harvard will be represented by a foils and an epee team in the group championships today. In addition, M. U. Copland '29, S. C. Smith '31, and D. I. Modell '30 will be allowed to enter the individual championships, Copland in the foils, Smith in the epee, and Modell in both foils and epee. Other colleges from the New England division to qualify teams in the trials of March 16 were Yale, in the foils, epee, and sabre, and Dartmouth in the sabre alone.

The Yale team, with men entered in all three events, rules a strong favorite in today's clash. The record of the Blue swordsmen thus far this season has been an enviable one, and their previous victories, at New Haven on March 2 and in the recent trials, over the Harvard aggregation would seem to preclude any strong chances for a Crimson win today. However, with the help of individual stars, Harvard is conceded an excellent opportunity to place among the first three teams at least.

The following will represent Harvard:

Foils: D. I. Modell '30; M. U. Copland '29; J. S. Oettinger '30. Alternate: J. D. Allen '30.

Epee: S. C. Smith '31; S. S. Morrill '31.