VISION AND REVISION

The greater latitude in the rules pertaining to Rhodes Scholarships which now seems assured by the recent decision in the House of Lords should be of great importance in raising the value and dignity of the institution. As has been pointed out before in the CRIMSON, the new method of regional selection of candidates will have its disadvantages, but it at least points to the fact that the trustees are aroused to the deficiencies of the present system and are ready to take definite measures for their alleviation.

In allowing a man to make use of the stipend for but two years the committee removes the stigma from those who find it necessary or desirable not to return for a third years. In many cases the type of education offered at Oxford is bound to vary from that expected or desired by the candidate who comes from a country of different traditions and standards. Two years should be sufficient to determine the possible value of a third, and if during this time the student finds that he has reaped all possible profit, it is unfortunate that the force of regulation and opinion should require further attendance.. In the past, the few bold spirits who have summarily resigned before the expiration of the usual term, have done so with the disapprobation of the officials. Under the new system all taint of the social sin of "backing out" will be removed, certainly a more comfortable situation and one likely to attract many men otherwise frightened away by the necessity of signing articles.

Perhaps the most sweeping of the proposed improvements is that whereby Rhodes Scholars may select institutions other than Oxford as their places of study. Apparently the committee has recognized the growing feeling that the relatively large number of Rhodes men at Oxford has begun to lend a definite color to the place. The "American Quarter" atmosphere no doubt has a tendency to antagonize the true born Englishman and certainly there have been many Americans who have deliberately gone elsewhere in their search for an environment more genuinely native than that afforded by an institution than that afforded by an institution which harbors two hundred Rhodes Scholars. By allowing the latter the privilege of individual choice of a University, this evil will be greatly reduced and at the same time the recipient of the award will be able to find surroundings more suitable to his peculiar needs.