HIGH SCHOOL MEN LEAD AMONG HONOR HOLDERS

Public School Alumni Hold Three-Fourths of Total Awards--Boston Latin Leads With 37

Of the 381 scholarships held by undergraduates in Harvard College, 263, or almost three-quarters of the total number, were gained by men who prepared in high schools, it was revealed by statistics which have been released at University Hall. Only 96 holders are alumni of private preparatory schools, while 22 are transfers from other colleges.

Three hundred and twenty-seven men represent the three upper classes in the scholarships. They are divided into three groups. The first, composed of those whose work in the preceding college year entitles them to "very high academic distinction," includes 39 men. The second group includes 160 names, while there are 128 in the third division, made up of upperclassmen in Group III of the Rank List and of first-year students who have been awarded Harvard Club scholarships or who have a special claim to College Scholarships. In addition, 54 Freshmen received awards.

New England led in the number of holders, with the Middle and Far West edging out the Middle Atlantic States for second place. Boston Latin scored most heavily of the high schools, represented by 37 graduates; Cambridge Latin has 18, and Boston English, seven. Of the private schools, Exeter and Andover led with 13 and five, respectively.