MURRAY AND RAYMOND ARE MADE PROFESSORS

LESLIE, BEATLEY, BEATLEY, ARE GIVEN LEAVES

Promotion of five members of the Harvard Faculty was announced last night, together with the granting of sabbatical leaves to three professors. Two men have been raised to Professorships, two to Associate Professorships, and one to an Assistant Professorship.

John Tucker Murray '99, Associate Professor of English since 1927 and Chairman of the Department of English, has been promoted to the rank of Professor. Professor Murray received his A. M. from Harvard in 1900, became an Assistant Professor of English in 1921, and during the years 1921-24 was Director of the Summer School.

Raymond a Professor

Percy Edward Raymond, Associate Professor of Paleontology since 1917, has been made Professor of Paleontology. He received his A.M. from Cornell in 1902, a Ph.D. from Yale in 1905, and in 1912 he became Assistant Professor of Paleontology at Harvard.

Gordon Maskew Fair, since 1926 Assistant Professor of Sanitary Engineering, has become Associate Professor of Sanitary Engineering. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1916, and came to Harvard as an Instructor in Sanitary Chemistry two years later.

Thomson Made Associate

William Thomson, Instructor in Semitic Languages and History since 1924 has become Associate Professor of Arabic. He received his A.M. degree from the University of Glasgow in 1907, and his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1924.

Gustavus Howard Maynadier '89, who received his Ph.D. in 1898, has been elected Assistant Professor of English. He has been a member of the Harvard Faculty since 1899.

Associate Professors Leslie Olin Cummings '09, and Ralph Beatley '13, and Assistant Professor Bancroft Beatley '15 have been granted sabbatical leaves during the academic year 1929-30.