CHAUNCEY AND BYERS APPOINTED TO FILL POSITIONS LEFT VACANT IN DEAN'S OFFICE

Chauncey Will be Assistant Dean in Charge of Freshmen--Byers to Fill Position in Records Office

D. S. Byers '25, of North Andover and Henry Chauncey '28 of Columbus, Ohio, have been appointed to fill two of the positions in the Dean's office left vacant by the resignations of Assistant Deans Lawrence Coolidge '27, Mitchell Gratwick '22, and W. I. Nichols '26, it was announced at University Hall yesterday. Byers will take the place of G. G. Benedict '23 in the Records Office, and Chauncey will be Assistant Dean in charge of one half the Freshman class. The third vacancy has not as yet been filled.

Accompanying this announcement was the information that G. G. Benedict '23, Assistant Dean in charge of records, would next year be transferred to the post now held by Coolidge as Assistant Dean in charge of Sophomores and dropped Freshmen; and that L. C. Keyes '24 would continue to hold the office of Assistant Dean in charge of Juniors and Seniors.

Chauncey, who prepared for Harvard at Groton School, won his numerals in football and baseball, was Chairman of the Smoker Committee, and a member of the Executive Board during his Freshman year. Though he completed the requirements for his degree in three years, he gained positions on the University football and baseball teams. From 1927 to the present he has been a master at the Penn Charter School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he has coached several of the athletic teams. According to information received from the Harvard Athletic Association, Chaucey will direct Freshman interdormitory sports next year.

Byers attended St. George's School at Middletown, Rhode Island. While in college he was a member of the Freshman Finance Committee, the 150-pound crew squad, and the Senior Endowment Committee. Following graduation he spent a year at the Harvard Business School, after which he entered the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. In 1928 he received an A. M. in Anthropology, and contemplates further work in that field next year.