QUICKBAND

"Hello Sucker! Pin back your ears and get a load of the next week's news: Sex, murder, sin, off and on will make you grab those straps on the 8:20 subway tighter and tighter. We aim to thrill, flatter, and admire, so cluster around with the money wide, high, and handsome."

In the spring a young man's fancy...and so forth, while the college newspaper turns to the inevitable parody issue. It makes little difference what the occasion as long as the yellow, pink or green sheet gets off the press with the necessary expose of the college professor, the campus character and the appropriate chit chat that supports the "fun".

With the present market, temporarily deluged by the aspiring productions of every college paper, the value of the parody, as well as the quality of the parody has taken a fall indeed. The spontaneity of a Yale or Princeton issue, the "Evening Graphite" or the "Daily Prints-anything" fortunately intervenes occasionally to tide over the barrenness of the customary publication, but the laurels are fast fading upon the tortured brow of college journalism in this particular field of endeavour, and it may be said that its success will only follow in the footsteps of its comparative rarity.