A LIVING PAGE

The departure of the first volume of the Harvard Tercentennial History from all literary tradition in actually being the last in chronological order will do much to make its popularity instantaneous. While posterity may have the better perspective, as Professor Morison, editor of the series, says, there is an added zest for the scholar in writing about his own times and for the University public in reading about its own self. A summary of the varied trends which in the near past have contributed to the Harvard of the present correlates the ambiguity of tradition and the existence of isolated events. Such factual and hitherto unpublished knowledge as that of President Lowell being the anonymous donor of New Lecture Hall makes still clearer the indefatiguable interest, aside from his executive duties, with which he regards the current happenings in which the University is concerned.

Professor Morison and his associates deserve the gratitude of Harvard men as much for allowing them to see themselves in the eyes of others as for publishing the Tercentennial History itself.