NEARLY 6000 ARE DONORS TO HARVARD FUND IN 1929

LOWELL COMMENDS FUND AS WAY OF INCREASING SALARIES

According to the Fourth Annual Report of the Harvard Fund Council, more alumni contributed to the Harvard Fund during 1929 than during any other of the three preceding years. During the past year, 5,976 contributors gave a total of $177,765 for the year.

Since the fund was started in 1926, 9225 different Alumni, representing every state in the Union and most of the principal countries abroad, have given a total of $638,000 for the unrestricted use of the University. The figures for the past four years are as follows; in 1926, 3,261 alumni contributed a total of $123,544; in 1927, 4,832 contributors turned in $152,285; in 1928, 5,639 graduates gave $184,362; and in 1929, 5,976 alumni contributed $177,765. These figures show an increasing gain in returns since the inception of the fund.

Adverse Criticism Rare

In the conclusion of his own report as Chairman of the Harvard Fund Council, Joseph R. Hamlen '04, says: "There is no doubt that the Fund is now far better understood than it was this time three years ago. The response is better, more enthusiastic, and adverse criticism is practically unheard of. With patient and continued effort, I am certain that the Fund will soon become as indispensable to Harvard as the Yale Fund, after 39 years, is to Yale."

President Lowell, in a published letter to Hamlet observes: "One of the greatest needs of the University today is that of increasing salaries, and the income of the Harvard Fund is a source that can be used for that purpose. Any gifts to the Fund are a help to the University in the great work it is trying to do, and are the more gratifying as evidence of approbation on the part of out alumni."

The report includes the list of givers by classes and the names of individual contributors.