SOCIALISTS RAP COLLEGE OFFICIALS IN PAMPHLET

"FAIR (?) HARVARD" IS TITLE OF THE CARTOON FRONTISPIECE

Three thousand copies of "What Harvard Teaches", a four page leaflet with a frontispiece caricaturing President Lowell doling out pennies to a scrubwoman, will be distributed to undergraduates and shopkeepers in Harvard Square this afternoon by the Socialist Club of the University. This is the initial step, according to the president of the club, in a well-defined campaign in support of old age pensions and unemployment insurance.

"Fair Harvard" (With a question mark after the "Fair") is the title of the cartoon, which stresses the fact that despite Mr. Wyeth's $5,000,000 bequest for unrestricted use, the University officials, "agents of a hundred million dollar corporation", refused to use $600 a year to raise the wages of 20 scrubwomen two cents an hour. "If Harvard's Maintenance Department decided to replace its horses with trucks, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals could and would prevent their turning these horses out on the street", runs the article, with the recommendation that the women in question at least get unemployment insurance while they look for other jobs.

Message to Students

The booklet winds up spiritedly with a word to the twenty scrubwomen and then "A word to you, our fellow students. We have seen the attitude of Harvard's heads to those who work close by. We know that they are, most of them, men who are fabulously wealthy and who care not who earns their money for them. We know that Harvard's teaching staff is selected by them and must retain the administration's good will. Of women are fired to save a few cents what would happen to a professor in George F. Banker's business school who dared to advocate the social ownership of public utilities? How much faith, fellow students, can we put in the teachings of social science professors who rely for their bread and butter on the good will of the autocrats whose social philosophy has been exposed by the case of the 20 scrubwomen?"