High-Scoring Dartmouth Eleven Favored to Win Over Crimson

Wood, Devens, Mays and White Should Furnish Strongest Harvard Threat

The traditionally strong Dartmouth football team, this year leading the entire country in scoring, and bringing with it a veteran line that has swept all before it in the games this year, comes down from the Hanover hills today for the annual game with Harvard. The usual capacity Stadium crowd will be on hand to watch the encounter which will start promptly at 2 o'clock.

Dartmouth, still a 10 to 7 favorite until late last night, meets the Crimson after having rolled up some of the largest scores in Big Green football history and having overwhelmed a none too weak Columbia team by a 52 to 0 score just last Saturday. The Indians come at full strength except at one position, left halfback, where injuries have laid up both Clark and Frigard. But otherwise the visitors are well fortified, especially in the line where Coach Jackson Cannell has gathered together one of the strongest forward walls in the East.

Dartmouth Still Untried

The Big Green is still, however, untried and in that respect the Harvard team of today has the advantage. Although losing to Army last week Harvard gained twice as much knowledge from the game as did Dartmouth in its conquest of Columbia. Moreover, the Crimson is at full strength for the first time this year today and will undoubtedly start off with the famous "pony backfield" of last year in the lineup, with the ever reliable Crickard in reserve. The line also will be at the apex of its power.

All calculations have, however, been made with the prospect of having a good dry field for the game. But yesterday the weather man changed the aspect of the tilt by ordering rain, and although he has promised fair weather for today there is no telling just what the field will be like. The canvas covering that groundkeeper Dennis Enright always gets out on rainy days covered the gridiron all day yesterday but consistent rains will make the field soggy just the same.

Muddy Field a Disadvantage

With a soft and muddy field Harvard's chances to win, none too good as it is, will be considerably lowered since the Crimson depends mainly on laterals and end runs for its decisive gains, and these plays naturally cannot be executed with speed and timing when the going is precarious. Dartmouth on the other hand would not be affected as much by a slow field since its heavy line and plunging backs would not be impeded so much.

Coach Cannell will send a backfield composed of Morton, Wolff, Donner, and Sutton against the Crimson, operating behind a line which has Barber, Bromberg, Captain Andres, Hoffman, and Crehan in the center. Sullivan and Yudicky will be at the ends. Three of the starting backs, Morton, Wolff, and Sutton, have scored 30, 28, and 26 points respectively.

The return of the "pony backfield" as a unit today with Crickard on hand as an alternate for Mays should be anything but encouraging to Dartmouth followers. With a dry field and an offensive cooperation from the line these backs may turn the tide of the game and put Harvard in its rightful place at the top of the list of Eastern teams.