Halvdan Koht Denies Havoc in Scandinavian Markets Caused By Russian Produce--Discusses Folk Tales 1000 Years Old

"Reports stating that the dumping of Russian produce on Scandinavian markets is creating havoe are greatly magnified," stated Halvdan Koht, Professor of History at the University of Oslo, in a recent discussion.

Professor Koht is the visiting lecturer from Norway. He is giving a number of courses on Scandinavian history during the first half year. "Russia," he continued, "has been forced to sell her produce, and because they have offered to sell wood, wool, and wheat, at prices lower than standard they have found a ready market, especially in the United States."

Today Professor Koht will give the second of a series of lectures in the Lowell Institute. They will all be on Norse folklore, a subject on which Koht is an authority. He remarked, "Tales of Iceland, Norway, and Sweden, even though they may be a thousand years old are still very popular in Scandinavia. They have a peculiarity in that they need no translation to make them modern. They can be read in their original form, provided the reader has a knowledge of the language, and be easily understood, English translations have been made of them, but I am afraid some of these are poor because the translator made the mistake of using the old style of English. They would have been far better if they had been told in plain everyday language."