Harvard's Hygiene Department

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Considering all the millions now being spent in building construction in enlarging the Harvard Plant, one wonders why a comparatively small sum cannot be put aside to replace Wadsworth House with a structure adequate to the needs of a University such as Harvard, and to increase an admittedly small hygiene department to proper proportions.

One is led to wonder why this department is not increased to meet the demands placed upon it. There is but one consulting physician here who is available at the office for one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. On the two occasions I had to visit the office, I found a crowd of some twenty to thirty students, most of them forced to stand, because of lack of chairs, for an hour or thereabouts. Upon inquiry, I found this to be a very common occurence. Despite the fact that, theoretically, three physicians are available by appointment during the day, a college the size of Harvard requires several physicians in attendance all day long. A good number of colleges has it so; why Harvard has not is difficult to understand. Irving H. Saxe '31.