"Ability to Relax, Coordination, and Winning Spark Points of a Great Swimmer", Says Ulen--Inexperience an Obstacle

"The three most important essentials for a man who wants to become a great swimmer are the ability to relax in the water, coordination, and an indefinable winning spark," declared H. S. Ulen head coach of swimming, in an interview yesterday afternoon at the pool of the New Indoor Athletic Building. Ulen came to Harvard after having reached at Syracuse where he taught Cameron, 440-yard intercollegiate backstroke champion and Wohl, 150-yard backstroke record holder. While under Ulen's tutelage. Syracuse twice captured second place in the intercollegiate swimming league comprised of 19 colleges including Dartmouth. Princeton, and Yale.

Ulen himself was a student at the University of Cincinnati and often competed in A. A. U. meets in the half and quarter mile races. He believes that an hour and a half is enough time to spend in the water a day and is giving his Harvard squad several weeks of calisthenics especially designed to strengthen and coordinate the muscles used in swimming before they take to the water.

The University swimming team will engage in eight meets this year, starting its season after the Yale football game, and will compete with Brown, Syracuse. West Point. Dartmouth, and Yale, all of whom. Ulen point out have had teams for as long as twenty years. For this reason, asserts the coach, Harvard is bound to suffer greatly from comparative lack of experience and can scarcely hope for a very imposing string of victories. By the end of the year however. Harvard should have mastered the fundamentals and at the close of its fourth season should have built up a team that is on a par with its rivals.