CHANGES MADE IN FOOTBALL STAFF FOR COMING YEAR

Stellar Center Returns as Freshman Assistant--Seniors Will Instruct Spring Candidates

The personnel of the Harvard football coaching staff has undergone two changes, according to announcement of the staff for the 1930 season, made today by W. J. Bingham '16, director of athletics. Head Coach Horween selected the men who will assist him with the University squad, and submitted their names for approval to the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports.

The position of assistant line-coach of the University squad, left vacant by the resignation of C. J. Hubbard '24, will be occupied this fall by W. A. Cleary '14, who coached the Freshman line last fall. Because of the pressure of business. Hubbard, former University football captain and All-American tackle, has given up his coaching duties in the University.

Cleary, who in 1908 was captain of football and stroke of the crew at Boston Latin School, has had a long career as a football mentor.

His first position was that of line coach at Boston College in 1916. In 1919, 1920, and 1921 he coached the second University eleven at Harvard. During the next three years he served as line coach of Tufts College under E. L. Casey '19, then head coach at that institution. After two years as instructor of school and club teams, he came to Harvard as line coach of the Freshmen, where he served two years under Casey and last year under A. E. French '29.

Cleary's place on the Freshman staff will be taken by R. W. Turner '28, who is remembered among Harvard football followers as the center who played an inspired game against Yale in the game of 1927, in which a decidedly inferior Harvard team surprised all crities in holding Yale to a 0-0 tie.

He prepared at Worcester Academy, and, while at Harvard, was a teammate of head coach French of the Freshmen, who will return again in the fall to direct the 1934 eleven.

In spring practice, the Senior letter men of the 1929 eleven will assist the mentor in drilling the candidates who report at that time for football instruction. Though it is probable that head coach Horween will be present for the opening of spring practice, he will not remain throughout the three weeks' duration of the practice period.