For a Liberal Club

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions at the request of the writer will names be with-held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Inasmuch as yesterday's announcement of the proposed federation of the liberal political clubs of the university makes public the disinterest of the undergraduates in political discussion, and reveals the inability of the Liberal Club, as at present constituted, to maintain itself satisfactorily in the face of this lack of support, it seems but fair to call to the attention of those officers of the Liberal Club who go out of office this week, discouraged at their apparent failure, the significance of the Scott Nearing luncheon yesterday.

Despite what many critics have said to the contrary, political and sociological questions are now being given detailed consideration in the class-room to such extent as to limit distinctly the field for an active discussion group such as the Liberal Club. But this very situation, with the influence which it gives the instructor in moulding opinion on current subjects, makes all the more important the existence of some sort of a forum where further discussion can take place voluntarily and spontaneously.

No matter how discouraging the future may have appeared two days ago, that should be forgotten. The Scott Nearing luncheon yesterday makes it clear that there is still a function to be performed by a liberal organization, whether that appears in the guise of the Liberal Club or of a federation under the wing of the League for Industrial Democracy. W. H. Melish '31.