NINE BOK ADVERTISING PRIZE WINNERS NAMED

PROMINENT ADVERTISING MEN GUESTS AT PRESENTATION

Winners of the Harvard Advertising Awards were announced at a dinner at the Faculty Club of the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration last night, in the presence of 100 guests prominent in the advertising profession. The presentation of the prizes was made by Dr. M. T. Copeland, professor of Marketing and chairman of the jury of award.

Cyrus H. K. Curtis, of the Curtis Publishing Company and the Curtis-Martin newspapers, was awarded the gold medal for distinguished contemporary service to advertising. Mr. Curtis earned this medal because of strict adherence throughout his distinguished career as a publisher to the requirement, which he initiated, of high standards of reliability in advertising; because of the effort and encouragement which he has given to secure better typography and reproduction in magazines; and because of the example of wholesome journalism which he has furnished.

The prize of $2,000 for a national campaign for a specific product was won by Batten, Barton, Durstine and Osborn, Inc., New York. The campaign which they had conducted was that of Armstrong's, Linoleum Floors, a product of the Armstrong Cork Company.

A second major award, that for a local campaign for a specific product on merchandise, went to the Northern States Power Company for their campaign in Minneapolis under the management of the By llesby Engineering and Management Corporation. The prize for a general or institutional campaign was awarded to the westing-house Electric and Manufacturing Company for their campaign which appeared in the rotogravure sections of newspapers.

The Newell-Emmett Company, New York, carried off the fourth $2,000 award, that for a campaign of industrial products, by their work for the Graybar Electric Company. The remaining major prize, for research conspicuous in furthering the knowledge and science of advertising, was won by P. W. Stewart, of the Bureau of Foreign and Domestic Commerce, United States Department of Commerce, for the research titled: "Market Data Handbook of the United States."

Four awards of $1,000 each were also made for distinguished advertisement. The prize for that distinguished for its effective use of text was given to Arthur Kudner of Erwin, Wasey, and Company, New York, for an advertisement titled, "Let's Go To Work".

For advertisement distinguished for its effective use of illustration, Silas Spitzer and Anton Bruehl, New York were awarded $1,000, in recognition of their advertisement of Weber and Heilbroner, illustrating silk hats. E. R. Squibb and Sons, New York, won the prize for an effective use of display line, with their advertisement, "The Call That Will Wake Any Mother". The last award, for an advertisement distinguished for its effective use of typography, went to Kenyon and Eckhardt, Inc., New York, with recognition to Henry Eckhardt and Stuart Campbell, for an advertisement of Revere Copper and Brass, Inc., titled: "The Smoke Marks Paul Revere's Foundry"