SUMMER POSITIONS ARE VERITABLE GOLD MINE TO GROUP OF HARVARD MEN

$105,000 EARNED BY STUDENTS DURING 1929 SEASON

Harvard students earned $105,000 during the summer vacation period of 1929, according to figures recently made public by W. W. Daly '14, secretary for Student Employment.

Summer jobs obtainable through the Student Employment office fall under a few definite classifications. These are as follows: boatmen, camp counselors, chauffeurs, guides, hotel workers, musicians, salesmen, tutors, tutor-companions, typists, and junior training groups. Almost 90 per cent of last year's earnings were made by the camp counselors, hotel workers, salesmen, and tutor-companions.

Boatmen are swimming instructors or sailing masters at yacht clubs. An expert knowledge of sailing and swimming is usually the minimum requirement.

Camp counselor work is ordinarily not very remunerative unless the man has had two or three years' previous experience. The earnings are directly proportional to the amount of experience which a man possesses.

Chauffeur and guide positions are limited in number. The best chauffeuring work is with a private family in Boston or in the country. Guides are employed by a reservation in the White Mountains, and two men each year are selected as official University guides in Cambridge.

Hotel workers, men acting as bellboys, desk clerks, night watchmen, bus-boys, and waiters, earned one-seventh of the total amount last season. The number of men securing hotel jobs has been steadily increasing, and such work has seemed to many men both profitable and enjoyable. Musicians can usually find employment in hotels, but the requirements are strict.

Salesmen's earnings are very high, averaging about $400 for the summer season. Since 1924, however, the earnings have decreased. The Employment Office recommends only three of four tested companies to students.

Independent tutoring has declined appreciably, with the growth of private tutoring schools. Tutor-companion jobs are more in demand, but the work is so specialized that comparatively few men are qualified. The tutor-companion earnings were the largest during the 1929 season.

Typist opportunities are very rare, although the office makes repeated efforts to secure positions for clerks with firms in Boston.

The junior training groups form part of a campaign recently entered upon by the office to secure for students summer positions in fields which they are considering for their life-work. Students are eligible for these positions the summer following their junior year. At present the plan is in the experimental stage, but there is every prospect that it will be fully developed in the next few seasons.