FLYING CLUB CHOOSES OFFICERS FOR NEW YEAR

PURCHASE OF NEW PLANE NOW UNDER CONSIDERATION

At a Flying Club dinner held in Boston at the Harvard Club on March 5 announcement of new officers to serve until March, 1931 was made. J. H. Smith '31 was chosen president, to be assisted by Robert Gilmor, Jr. '31 as vice president, T. B. Eastland '33 as secretary, and Isaac Harter, Jr. '33 as treasurer. These officers will serve as directors along with C. D. G. Breckinridge '31, M. S. P. Pollard '32, and H. W. Umphrey '32.

Speakers at the dinner were L. S. Marks, professor in the Engineering School, F. L. Ames '27, president of the East Coast Aircraft Corporation, and Professor Sayre of M. I. T.

It was announced by I. T. Williams '31, retiring president, that the club, which now numbers 65 members, is considering the purchase of a new plane in which a nation wide tour may be made.

The club is now stressing flying rather than mechanical work, and pays to have repair work on their ship done by airport officials in the morning, to leave the entire afternoon free for pilot work. At present there are sixteen active undergraduate pilots.

The total flying time from March 1, 1929, to March 1, 1930, was 222 hours and 30 minutes, as compared with the total of 133 hours for the corresponding period of the year before. There has been a large increase in the number of Harvard undergraduates taken aloft as guests.