A GREAT MAN PASSES

The death of Arthur T. Hadley, president emeritus of Yale, marks the termination of a life filled with creative effort. As an undergraduate Hadley was famed among his classmates for his broad knowledge, taking prizes in such varied fields as Greek and Latin poetry, astronomy, and English composition. A scholar, he had proceeded far towards the achievement of that balance which every well-rounded individual desires between physical and mental exertions. Not only was he a skilled Alpinist, but was said to have been as well versed as Walter Camp in the theory of football.

As a man, President Hadley rendered distinguished services to his country, serving on a Congressional committee in 1910 to investigate railroad securities, and in 1911 as chairman of a commission appointed by President Taft under the interstate commerce act to study the conditions of the railroads. His great work, however, was as the executive of Yale University where his administration from 1899 until 1921 may be compared with that of President Eliot at Harvard. The development of the Sheffield Scientific School, the doubling of the university's endowment, the initiation of a school of forestry, and the general elevation of scholastic standards are but a few monuments to his work at New Haven. The administration of President Hadley will be remembered for the fact that the institution which he directed was in every way improved over what it had been at his installation.